Posted by: thedianestory | November 12, 2009

Another Hospital Stay – Another Update

November 11, 2009

Wow. It seems that I can’t keep up with the updates because my health is constantly changing and the treatment plans keep changing daily. Last Friday November 6th, I ended up back in the hospital. The story goes something like this:

Thursday night the 5th of November I got in excruciating pain. I had had a very long day after dealing with errands, getting the car accident stuff taken care of, doctor’s appts., and company at my house in the evening. I just crashed Thursday night after taking pain meds and thought I would wake up Friday morning feeling better. Well Friday morning came and I could barely move. My friend Heather, who is helping take care of me, woke me up Friday to get ready for my doctor’s appt., and I felt horrible. She got me up and dressed and to my appointment. When we came home she gave me more pain meds and every few hours the pain meds kept coming. By about 5pm I was beside myself in pain and tried everything to get the pain to calm down.

I put on my tens unit hoping it would re-signal the nerves and calm the pain down. That didn’t work. My brother and I got in the hot tub hoping the hot water would help my body relax and that did nothing. Finally about 7pm, my brother and I decided that I needed to go to the emergency room. Danny took me to Enloe hoping to get the pain under control through IV medications. I texted my friend Heather when I got to Enloe to let her know I was there. She and her hubby rushed down to Enloe to help out and be with me. Heather called her mom-in-law to go sit with my mom at home as my mom had just had surgery that day too.

Anyway, Enloe started and IV and gave me pain meds. After 14 mgs of Dylotted, and not really any difference in the pain level, they decided that I needed to be admitted. After some discussion about doctors and Enloe and my time at Feather River, it was decided that I was going to be ambulanced up the hill to Feather River to be admitted there, as that is where I was originally hospitalized when all this began. So, about 10 or 11pm Friday night I was ambulanced up the hill. Heather had run home to pack a bag for me and she followed the ambulance up the hill and got me settled in with my nurses. Bless her heart. Thank you SO MUCH Heather. You are a true blessing to me.

So, Saturday morning my GI doctor came in to see me. He had me fill him in on my time in S.F. and we discussed what we should do next. We decided that it would be best to do a colonoscopy as no one had checked out the lower GI track through any of this whole ordeal. So, Saturday was spent miserable drinking stuff to clean my system out and I had a colonoscopy on Sunday. This test revealed that everything was normal. This of course, was good and bad. Good that there is no cancer or anything, but bad because we still do not know what is causing the pain.

Monday came and the decision was made to release me from the hospital as they had no medical reason to keep me. So frustrating. Constantly being sent home with no answers. I have still been unable to eat much of anything and am basically surviving drinking Ensure each day. I followed up on Tuesday with my family doctor who inturn sent me to my GYN and told him he needed to do a laporoscopy.

So today I saw my GYN. He did an exam and then spent an hour talking over everything I have been through these last three months. He is hesitant to do surgery because he isn’t sure surgery will reveal anything. However we both decided that it is the only option that makes much sense right now because I have been through several tests and nothing is showing up. So, he scheduled a laporoscopy for November 23rd. He is going to admit me to the hospital for the day so my pain can be controlled after surgery. He is going to take biopsies of anything that looks suspicious and he is also going to do a cystoscopy, which is putting a scope into the bladder to stretch the bladder. This is because I have a bladder disease that also causes pain and I have had lots of pelvic pain recently. He wants to address the bladder issue while we are in there. My bladder is inflamed right now just because when something else in my body gets inflamed, the bladder doesn’t stand a chance and just gets inflamed too. So he is going to work to treat that as well. The third thing he is going to have done as well is to have the anesthesiologist do a spinal block. He is curious to see if doing the spinal block releaves any of pain or not. So, the block will be done at the beginning of surgery.

Since surgery is still 12 days away I am a bit apprehensive at how I am going to do until then. I only made it at home for eight days before ending up hospitalized again this last time, so I am praying that I can do okay and stay home until surgery. Please pray for pain relief and for the nausea to calm down as well. Please also pray for me to be able to eat. I have begun to be able to keep minimal amounts of food down. The GI doctor started me on pancreatic enzymes while in the hospital over the weekend. I take three pills before each meal to help the digestive process. Hopefully this helps me be able to eat more as time moves on.

Thanks again for all the prayers, love and support. They mean so much to me.

For now,




  1. Diane, I just spent 9 days in Feather River with my GI issues almost 2 weeks ago now. I totally understand how you feel about the pain and being so sick and tired of being sick and tired. The only difference between I think is that all my problems have been diagnosed, but they just don’t know how to start fixing them. On the 20 of October I had a celiac plexis block done in SF by Dr. Binmuller, one of Dr. Snapes collegues. They go down with an endoscope and do an ultrasound internally and then inject the celiac plexis nerve with something to “kill” the nerve. It is the nerve that controls all the other nerves in the abdomen if I understood the doctor correctly. Well, due to a crisis happening at home soon after my procedure, the procedure failed. Between the failed procedure and the stress over that and the crisis that occurred, that is what sent my body over the edge and got me admitted. I am now on Dilaudid 4 mg at home 4 times a day for break through pain. I wear a 100 mcg Fentynal patch and still take 10 milligrams of Percocet 4 times a day to try to keep the pain down to a bare minimum. I am also on 8 mgs of Zofran every 12 hours and 50 mg of Phenegran 3-4 times a day. I have been going through this crap since 2005. I hope your laparoscopy on the 23 goes well and they are able to control your pain both with the spinal block and pain meds. If you ever want to just talk to someone who truly understands how you feel and knows exactly what you are going through, call me please. Here is the numbers. 636-4356 and 591-0562. I know sometimes I just wish I had someone to talk to that knows how I feel and understands what I am feeling and going through. I also suggest that you get a PIC line put in or a Port a Cath. If you are like me your veins are shot to crap and IV’s are hard to start. I came home with my PIC line from Feather River in case I need to go to the ER or end up in SF redoing my procedure or for any other test that I may have to have that needs to be done with interveneous medications. I go to Enloe’s Cancer Infusion Center once a week and have the dressing changed, port changed and line flushed. It’s just a suggestion. Again Dian, I am here for you anytime that you just need someone to listen or talk to. I will continue to keep you and your mom in my prayers. I hope you will do the same for me. God Bless.

  2. Hey sis,

    I love you and am praying for you and thinking of you! I know how it feels to constantly be sent home without answers. Story of my life! Until I saw Dr Garrison, which is why I wondered if you could go to him. But I’m not sure how that would work. Love you so so much and I’m here for you. LOVE YOU!

    • Thanks Kait. You are such a good little sis! I love you lots.

  3. I love you, Diane and am praying that God would answer our prayers for pain relief and also the nausea. You are not alone. I don’t know why this has to be going on… but DO I know that our God is faithful. You are an amazing woman, and a blessing to me. Love, love, love.

    • Thanks so much Kathy. You are a blessing to me as well and I thank God for you. Thanks for the prayers and encouragement, and the hugs I get when I see you! I love you.

  4. Diane, you are in our prayers daily. It is difficult to understand why you have been through so much and there are still no answers. We will pray that your coming surgery on the 23rd will reveal the answers. God loves you, Diane.

  5. Well as much as it sucks that you have to have yet another surgery I hope that this reveals some answers and relieves some of your pain. Heather, thank you for taking such good care of my best friend! Danny, you are a great big brother! Wish I wasn’t so far away and could be with you through all of this. I hope the end of your pain is near! Love you lots!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: